Today these historical walls in Caldaro, a stately property from the 16th century, houses a wine-growing estate.
Castel Sallegg has characterised the villagescape of Villa di Mezzo, together with other historical buildings, since the 16th century. At that time it was erected by the Lords of Sall. In the following centuries it changed hands several times and came also into the possession of the aristocrats of Zill and the Sepp family (later on Sepp von Seppenburg). From this family came Anton Sepp von Seppenburg (1655 - 1733), a well-known missionary from Caldaro who worked in Brazil.
In 1851 the Lords of Unterrichter sold the property to Archduke Rainer of Austria, Viceroy of the Lombardo-Venetian Kingdom. His granddaughter Maria Reineria Lucchesi Palli, countess of Campofranco, had the residence transformed into a castle between 1900 and 1902, based on a project by the Viennese architect Anton Weber. Due to inheritance, Castel Sallegg came into the hands of the Counts of Kuenburg. Still today their descendants live in the castle, which is mainly specialised in the production of noble red and white wines.
The wine-growing estate Castel Sallegg includes also the vineyards Preyhof, Leisenhof and Seehof. In the castle itself, however, the red and white wines are stored up to three storeys underground in the vaulted cellars. And how to reach the property? It is located in Unterwinkel 15 in Villa di Mezzo (Mitterdorf), a district of Caldaro. Parking possibilities and a bus stop can be found nearby. Guided cellar tours are offered upon request.
Wine cellar tour on request.