The historic residence with its beautiful fresco chamber is one of Termeno’s oldest buildings.
In the historic centre of Termeno (Tramin), from the Town Hall Square towards south, there’s the oldest quarter of the village, called “Bethlehem”. One of the first buildings in this place - as well as one of the oldest ones of Termeno - is the Langenmantel Residence from the 14th century. The name derives from an old patrician family from Augsburg. The Austrian line, Langenmantel von und zu Langenthal, owned both the Unterspaur and Langenmantel Residences in Termeno and the Thalegg Manor in the neighbouring Appiano.
The old noble Langenmantel Residence, a so-called “Count’s Manor”, is characterised by its archway with the marble coat of arms of the Langenmantel von und zu Langenthal family, who moved at that time from Augsburg to Termeno: it shows a crown and - beneath it - two reflected R. The marble window and door frames, the oriels and the multicoloured glazed roofing tiles (today disappeared) remind of the “Clesanian Renaissance” style. The building features also an inner courtyard with a private tavern, known beyond the border for its beautiful frescoes showing figures from the Greek mythology. They were realised in 1547 by Bartlmä Dill Riemenschneider.
In 1796 the Langenmantel Residence was heavily damaged during a fire - such as many other historic buildings in the village. In 1977 it was listed as a monument and recently the fresco chamber was restored, but is not accessible yet. And how to reach it? It can be found at the beginning of the Via Schneckenthaler road, in the oldest quarter of Termeno (no. 6 - 12). Around the nearby Town Hall Square (Piazza Municipio) there are parking possibilities and a bus stop.
not (yet) accessible to the public