In the centre of Caldaro village rises the venerable Castel Windegg, a beautiful manor built in Empire style.
In Caldaro (Kaltern), near the South Tyrolean Wine Museum, there's the historical Castel Windegg. Already in the 14th century a residential tower of the Lords of Rottenburg rose in this place, which in 1390 was handed over to the Lords of Reinisch. Today this Reinisch Tower is affiliated to the current three-storey building, erected in 1817 by Johann Nepomuk von Schasser in neoclassical style. For some time it was called - in a poetic way - Castel del Vento: Wind Castle.
From the outside, the manor enchants with its inner courtyard and the castle garden with palm trees and a magnificent view on Lake Caldaro. Inside it is characterised by its beautiful rooms, such as the Big Hall with painted columnar architecture with statues of gods, the sober White Hall which radiates a feeling of quiet, the Hall of the Acacias with a painted Venetian sky and the Blue Hall. They cast a spell over visitors and offer a beautiful backdrop for different festivities.
Since 1951, Castel Windegg has been listed as monument, since 1962 it has been owned by Ignaz Brigl, which renovated the building some decades ago. And how to reach the manor? It is located in Caldaro village, more precisely in Windegg no. 3. Nowadays it is a popular venue for weddings and other celebrations. Parking is available at the nearby Trutsch car park (subject to charge).
accessible only for guests of the house