Castel Mühlburg, also called “Gschlössl” (small castle) or “Tower of Pozzo”, is hidden between the buildings of Caldaro.
In Pozzo (Pfuss), a district of Caldaro at 544 m a.s.l., rises a small castle which represents one of the earliest and most beautiful examples of the Oltradige construction style. It is characterised by crenellations, windows and doors richly embellished with marble, mullioned windows with slim pillars, arcades and loggias made of sandstone as well as beautiful inner courtyards and staircases on the external façade. The Oltradige style reminds of the Tuscan buildings, for good reason: Claudia de’ Medici, Regent of Tyrol, was from Tuscany and also many of the architects reconstructing the buildings in the Oltradige area at that time came from the south.
The Oltradige construction style hit its peak between 1550 and 1600 AD, but the “Gschlössl” - how Castel Mühlburg is called in South Tyrolean dialect - is considerably older. A residential tower in this place was first mentioned in 1231. The Lords of Morenberg, around 1600 landlords of the entire area of the Passo della Mendola mountain pass, converted the building into a residence. Together with Castel Campan, Castel Mühlburg was even mentioned in the historical Atlas Tyrolensis. Its current appearance, however, dates back to the year 1584. During WWII, the castle was transformed partly into a catacomb school, when elsewhere teaching of and in the German language was banned. Nowadays the “Gschlössl” - in bourgeois hands - is partly still inhabited.
By the way: since 1972 Castel Mühlburg has been a listed building. Currently 119 properties in Caldaro, as well as 46 buildings in Termeno, appear on the list. And how to reach the property? It can be found in Pozzo, a district of Caldaro, which offers parking spaces as well as a bus stop.
not accessible to the public