The Gothic church dedicated to St. Leonard of Noblac represents the landmark of Pianizza di Sotto, a district of Caldaro.
Image gallery: St. Leonard Church in Pianizza di Sotto
It is presumed that in ancient times the hamlet of Pianizza di Sotto (Unterplanitzing) was situated at the junction with the ancient trail leading up to the Passo della Mendola mountain pass. That would explain why a St. Leonard Church was built here: churches that were located at crossings were usually dedicated to this patron saint. San Leonard is venerated above all by carters and farmers, smiths and fitters, as well as fruit merchants and miners.
The church was originally a Romanesque building, erected presumably in the 13th or 14th century and part of a medieval pilgrim's hospice. On its remains, the Gothic St. Leonard Church - "Kirche St. Leonhard" in German, "Chiesa di San Leonardo" in Italian - was built in 1429. On the Romanesque walls in the inside some frescoes are still recognisable, dating back to the time around 1360 and depicting also the coat of arms of the Lords von Fuchs.
In 1739 this dynasty was also in possession of a medieval residential tower which still stands out from a group of houses in Pianizza di Sotto. The furnishing of the church, however, comes from the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Bolzano. And how to reach the St. Leonard Church? The small sacred building rises in Pianizza di Sotto in Caldaro, along the Via Caldaro road. Nearby there's a bus stop. Also the Oltradige Cycle Path leads past the building.