The majestic St. Cyricus and Julitta Parish Church features the highest brick steeple of South Tyrol.
Image gallery: Termeno Parish Church
The St. Cyricus and Julitta Parish Church rises in Termeno along the South Tyrolean Wine Road and constitutes, together with the Piazza Municipio (Town Hall Square), the village centre. According to tradition Henry, son of the Langobardic count Regineno, built the church in the 9th century and committed the relics of St. Julitta and her son Cyricus to the church. The two saints are also depicted on the Gothic frescoes in the choir, which were restored recently. However, it is a proven fact that the origins of the church date back to 850 AD.
The choir was built at the end of the 14th century. It is a real Gothic masterpiece featuring sandstone ashlars, plastered filler walls as well as six elegant buttresses, supporting the delicate reticulated vaulting inside the church. Also the brick steeple was realised at that period of time, more precisely in 1492, by the Gothic stonemasons Hans Feur from Vipiteno and Peter Ursel from Termeno. The Romanesque nave bay with its flat wooden ceiling, however, was preserved up to the 20th century and was replaced only in 1911 by the present nave with the side naves.
Particularly worth seeing are - besides the beautiful fresco cycle - the main altar and the altars dedicated to Mary, Joseph, St. Sebastian and St. Jacob. The precious Gothic altar, realised by Master Klocker, pupil of the famous Michael Pacher, can be admired in the Bavarian National Museum in Munich. The altarpiece is a work by Martin Knoller, an important South Tyrolean painter. By the way: with 86 meters, the church tower of the Termeno Parish Church represents the highest brick steeple of South Tyrol! And how to reach the church? It is located in the village centre of Termeno, in the Via Hans Feur road. Parking possibilities can be found nearby.
Opening hours: all year round
during the day
phone: +39 0471 860190 (Parish of Termeno)