The origins of Caldaro and the history of its settlement date back to the Neolithic period, a fact proven by archaeological findings.
Caldaro’s coat of arms:
It illustrates a copper kettle on a silver background, presumably describing the area: the Latin name for this kettle-like shape is “caldarium”, which sounds very similar to Caldaro (Kaltern).
Findings from ancient times:
The oldest find, a stone grave, was discovered in the locality of Klavenz and dates back to the Neolithic period. On the Castelchiaro hill high above Lake Caldaro and around Castel Varco, findings dating back to the mid-Bronze Age, that’s to say to 1700 to 1300 BC, were made. Moreover it is presumed that the surroundings of the St. Peter’s Basilica in Castelvecchio and the hill called “Vipernhügel” in the “hinter dem Wald” area were settled very early.
Important dates regarding the history:
- 1536: municipal coat of arms with cattle mentioned for the first time
- 1639: Franciscan Monastery built at the Piazza dei Rottenburg square
- 1681: “Markt Caltern” mentioned for the first time
- 1750: last “Torggln” (wine presses) built
- 1878: volunteer fire brigade founded
- 1880/85: Mendola pass road built
- 1900: first local cooperative founded
- 1901: first vehicle drives on the Passo della Mendola mountain pass
- 1903: Mendola Funicular inaugurated
- 1908: school built in the village centre
- 1971: city partnership Caldaro - Heppenheim a.d. Bergstrasse (D)
- 2015: city partnership Caldaro - Tegernsee (D)