The Gothic church dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua gives its name to the district of Sant’Antonio in Caldaro.
Image gallery: St. Anthony Church in Sant’Antonio
The St. Anthony Church - “Kirche St. Anton” in German, “Chiesa di Sant’Antonio” in Italian - rises on a steep slope in the small village of Sant’Antonio, close to the valley station of the Mendola Funicular. It is dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua, known as “Patron Saint of Lost Things” and specifically invoked in danger of war and in case of fever, infertility and cattle diseases. Centuries ago, this church patron gave his name to Sant’Antonio, a district of Caldaro.
The oldest parts of the church, that’s to say parts of the steeple and of the nave walls, date back to the 13th century and the Romanesque period. In 1430 the Gothic polygonal choir was added, which was frescoed in 1472 by the painters Bernhard and Jakob from Bolzano. Another work by these two artists is the big wall painting depicting St. Christopher on the southern façade. Also the St. Roch Church in the nearby hamlet of Pozzo is decorated with a fresco of this saint.
The current appearance of the St. Anthony Church dates back to the 15th and 16th century. By the way: in the Franciscan Church in Caldaro, there is also a large image of St. Anthony around which a special legend is told. And how to reach the St. Anthony Church? It can be found in the district of Sant’Antonio in Caldaro - a parking space and a bus stop are located nearby.
Opening hours: all year round
during the Holy Mass (Mondays at 8 am)
phone: +39 0471 963134 (Parish of Caldaro)