The St. Valentine Church, which has served as cemetery chapel since 1787, is located in the south of Termeno.
Image gallery: St. Valentine on Cemetery Church
One of the five churches of Termeno (Tramin) is located south of the village centre, along the South Tyrolean Wine Road. The sacred building, mentioned for the first time in written documents in 1276, was consecrated to Saint Valentine of Rome. After its construction the chapel presented itself as a Romanesque hall church. About 200 years later it was rebuilt in Gothic style, amplified and provided with a flat ceiling. Since 1787 it has served as cemetery chapel.
The steeple dates back to the late Romanesque period with a Gothic spire, whereas the inside presents itself in early Gothic style. Between 1380 and 1420 the church was painted with wonderful frescoes of the Venetian School: characteristic feature of this school of art is to give primacy of colour over line. The fresco cycles were rediscovered and laid open only in the 20th century and show the Legend of St. Ursula as well as the Passion of Christ. The latter represents one of the most detailed illustrations of the Passion from the time around 1400 in Tyrol.
The above mentioned frescoes are in a perfect state of conservation and of great art-historical importance, whereas only a few remains of the original furnishings of the church are left. And how to reach the St. Valentine on Cemetery Church - "Kirche St. Valentin am Friedhof" in German, "Chiesa di San Valentino al Cimitero" in Italian? The sacred building rises south of Termeno along the South Tyrolean Wine Road, nearby there is a parking space and a bus stop.
open by appointment only (key available at the Tourist Information, phone: +39 0471 860131).
deposit for the key