The Monastery and the Church of the Tertiary Nuns in Villa di Mezzo date back to the years between 1730 and 1734.
Image gallery: Monastery of the Tertiary Nuns
A sober construction rises in Villa di Mezzo (Mitterdorf), the largest district of Caldaro - it is one of the historic buildings of the village, more precisely the Church and the Monastery of the Tertiary Nuns. This convent was among the first ones of the Order founded by Maria Hueber from Bressanone, which has been mainly dedicated to the education of schoolchildren.
The foundation of the monastery itself dates back to 1714 AD, one decade before the Order was officially recognised as Order of the Regular Franciscan Tertiaries. In the years between 1730 and 1734 the construction of the convent was made possible thanks to donations from the citizens of Caldaro. The fresco above the main entrance shows female Franciscan saints. Inside, the monastery was redesigned and extended in the 19th century. Also the well-known stigmatised female mystic Anna von Mörl lived here from 1841 to 1868.
The Church of the Tertiary Nuns - "Kirche der Tertiarschwestern" in German, "Chiesa delle suore Terziarie Francescane" in Italian -, however, is comparable to the Franciscan Church at the Piazza Rottenburg square in Caldaro village. The high altarpiece and the Stations of the Cross were realised by Johann Josef Karl Henrici (1737 - 1823) from Silesia. And how to reach the buildings? They are located in Villa di Mezzo, at the junction between the Via Mendola and the Via Maria von Mörl roads. Villa di Mezzo offers parking possibilities as well as a bus stop.
not open to the public