San Nicolò

At the foot of the Mendola Ridge, at 569 m a.s.l., there is the locality of S. Nicolò, located in the heart of vineyards and orchards.

San Nicolò is situated north-west of Caldaro village and slightly above Villa di Mezzo. The locality was called “Mondevinum” or “Montevino” (Wine Mountain) in ancient times, but adopted the name of the local church patron, St. Nicholas (San Nicolò, in Italian), later on. Matthias Alban, a famous representative of the Tyrolean Violin-Making School, was born here in 1634.

Especially more active holidaymakers feel at ease in San Nicolò (St. Nikolaus, in German). Whereas sun lovers and keen swimmers meet directly at the shores of Lake Caldaro, here you can enjoy beautiful hikes such as the Caldaro High Route, or make a bicycle trip. Above all the historic Mendola Pass Road with its numerous bends is a real highlight for cyclists (and motorcyclists)!

As already mentioned, the local church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. In the inside it houses valuable frescoes by Bartlmä Dill Riemschneider dating back to 1530 as well as a miraculous image of Our Lady of Sorrows, which has made San Nicolò a pilgrimage site from 1733 on. One of the oldest depictions of the Caldaro coat of arms, however, can be admired on the triumphal arch of the church. Also the two church steeples are worth mentioning: one of them was built in 1880 in order to relieve the weight of the other, that’s to say the older one.

Suggested accommodations: San Nicolò show all

  1. Pradoshof
    Farm

    Pradoshof

  2. Seaberlehof
    Apartments

    Seaberlehof

  3. Strickerhof
    Farm

    Strickerhof

  4. Ferienhof Zum schwarzen Kus
    Farm

    Ferienhof Zum schwarzen Kus

  5. Beierle Höfl
    Farm

    Beierle Höfl

Tips and more infos