For you and your dog there are some things which have to be observed when crossing the border and during your holidays.
Every municipality may issue its own regulations regarding dogs, including swimming in public waters and the access to public facilities. Here you find a compact overview:
* EU pet passport: it is obligatory to take a properly completed EU passport for your dog with you. Furthermore, your four-legged friend needs a microchip for a clear identification. Dogs, which were marked before the 3rd of July 2011 for the first time, may have a clearly readable tattoo.
* Vaccination: your dog must be vaccinated against rabies. The vaccination must have taken place at least 21 days ago and at most one year ago. Puppies younger than three months must not enter Italy.
* Mandatory use of dog leashes: leashes are compulsory in Italy, also on hiking paths - only specially designated dog areas are exempted from the regulation. The leash must not be longer than 1.5 metres. Furthermore, there is an extended muzzling order. That means, that you always have to carry a muzzle along and use it if requested or needed.
* Dog dirt disposal: please keep in mind that removing immediately the excrements of your dog is obligatory. Therefore you always have to carry the right equipment - a small shovel and plastic bags - with you and show it if asked to do so by the control authorities (according to Article 11). The dog dirt disposal is obligatory also in the specially designated dog areas.
* Access ban: dogs are not allowed to enter grocery stores, cemeteries, playgrounds, public fountains, school yards and agricultural soils, including meadows, fruit orchards and vineyards. Also in the bathing establishments of Lake Caldaro dogs are not allowed for hygienic reasons.
* Use of public transport (including the Mendola Funicular): guide dogs and small animals, which can be held in the arms or carried in a container (max. 70×30×50 cm), are transported for free. If the dog does not fulfil these criteria, you have to buy a ticket. Lead and muzzle are obligatory.