The history of Castel Sallegg can be retraced back to the 16th century and is characterised by the counts von Kuenburg.
Castel Sallegg is located in the village of Villa di Mezzo and was constructed by the lords von Sall. In the following years it repeatedly changed hands, up to 1622 the aristocrats von Zill inhabited the castle. In 1622 the Sepp family (later Sepp von Seppenburg) purchased Castel Sallegg. Also Anton Sepp von Seppenburg, a known missionary operating in Brasil, stems from this family.
In 1800 the aristocrats von Unterrichter assumed the residence. About 51 years later they sold it to the archduke Rainer von Österreich, vice emperor in Lombardy-Venetia. His granddaughter Maria Reineria Lucchesi Palli, countess of Campofranco, had the residence transformed into a castle. The project was made by the architect Anton Weber of Vienna.
Due to inheritance the castle came into the hands of the counts von Kuenburg. Still today their descendants live in the castle, who mainly specialised in the production of noble wines.